What is SEO and How Does It Work
The search engine optimization , ( SEO by its acronym of Search Engine Optimization which translates, ‘optimization for search engines’) is the process of improving the visibility of a website in different Search engines such as Google , Bing or Yahoo in an organic way, ie. without paying money to the search engine to gain access to a prominent position in the results.
This positioning is achieved in a natural way by performing optimization tasks on web pages. In order to appear in the first positions of the search engines and to increase the traffic of visits in a web page, it is advisable that in the sites to apply optimization tasks.
The task of optimizing the structure of a web and the content of the same, as well as the use of different techniques of link building , link baiting or viral contents with the objective of appearing in the first positions of the results of the search engines (when a user searches For a particular keyword or keyword), is known as SEO .
The application of SEO techniques is usually more intense in websites with a lot of competition and what is intended for your application is to position yourself above competitors for certain keywords.
SEO techniques can be excessive and affect the natural results of large search engines so if they breach the clauses and conditions of use of them can be considered, in some cases, as a form of SPAM, spamdexing.
The work is broad since the positioning involves the programming code, the design and the contents. We also refer to SEO to define the people who perform this type of work.
Activities to Improve SEO
- Get other related websites to link to your website. For this it is interesting to perform a search for those terms that you consider should bring traffic to your website and study which of them have a complementary content. If for example, you want to position yourself for the term “hairdressing Guildford” it may be interesting to try to get backlinks from hairdressers from other cities. The theme will be similar and you do not run the risk of “cannibalization”.
- Register in important directories like Dmoz and Yahoo. Directories have lost a lot of interest in search engines but they are still a good starting point to get links or the first search of your website by search engines. Both require a human filter for inclusion which ensures the quality of the webs added, but also slows down and makes it difficult to include them.
- Register and participate in forums, preferably in thematic forums related to the activity of your website. The frequent participation has to be accompanied by a real and valuable contribution to be taken into account as a qualified user, the detail of the success to get visits and increase the positioning is the link to his website presented in his signature.
- Write articles on other websites. Articles are a very powerful method to improve the positioning and get attract visitors. If you can write a few articles of a course, the tricks of the day, the usefulness of the product of your web.
- Right now there are hundreds of social networks, for example, HHi5, Facebook and Orkut, in which to be able to participate and get visits from our new “friends”. For Google Twitter and Facebook are the social networks that have more relevance for the positioning.
- Create quality content with texts that contain a high density of keywords that users or potential customers search for the services or products of this site.
- Use bold or italic in the contents for the keywords that are intended to be positioned.
- Use “meta” tags (description and title) with keywords, strategically chosen beforehand.
- Use headers h1, h2, h3, etc. To highlight important terms or titles. Key words should be used in the headers.
- Optimise URLs, we place the most important and meaningful keywords for the search.
- To realise the structuring and the design of a web page thinking about the positioning means paying attention to that it is functional, easy to access and that captures the attention of the user.
- Create a clean web design in advertising and deliver the relevant content on the top half of the website.
- Create unique titles and relevant descriptions of the content of each page. Each page is a business card for the search engine. Titles and descriptions are starting points for the identification of relevant terms throughout the web by search engines. Best practices recommend writing titles between 60 and 70 characters.
- Internally link the pages of our site in an orderly and clear way. A “site map” in the code (both Google and one on the site) will allow the search engine to search the different sections of the site in an orderly way, improving their visibility.
- Refresh the page with original quality content.
- Exchange content.
- Generate traffic through SEM (Search Engine Marketing) or search engine ads with keywords considered key to the web page. Also, generate traffic through social networks and ads segmented in them and other pages of interest.
- Optimise the loading time of a web to achieve bandwidth reduction and Adwords CPC, increase the conversion rate and improve search engine positioning.
- Improve user experience with design improvements and lower rebound rates.
- Host the website on a reliable server.
- Using a correct website tagging is vital for good positioning.